Michael L. Barnhardt, Ph.D.Senior Quaternary Geologist (Retired)
Quaternary and Engineering Geology Section
Phone: 217-244-2766 •
Major Research Interests
- Quaternary Geology Staff Page
- 3-D geologic mapping of Quaternary sediments
- Application of soils in surficial geologic mapping Soil geomorphology
- Historical sedimentation, especially influence of human activity on sedimentation rates, soil erosion, and gully development
Current Research Projects
- 3-D Geologic Mapping; Central Great Lakes Geologic Mapping Coalition
- Surficial geologic mapping for STATEMAP and Illinois Geologic Mapping Program (IGMap)
- Outreach activities, specifically transfer, interpretation, and application of geologic mapping products and databases for use by county and municipal agencies and the general public
Barnhardt, M.L., 1988, Historical sedimentation in west Tennessee gullies: Southeastern Geographer, v. 28, no. 1, p. 1-18.
Barnhardt, M.L., 1990, A 50-year old gully reclamation project revisited: Journal of Soil and Water Conservation, v. 44, no. 6, p. 562-565.
Barnhardt, M.L., E. Mehnert, C. Ray, and S.C. Schock, 1992, Characterization of the study areas for the pilot study: Agricultural chemicals in rural, private wells in Illinois: Cooperative Groundwater Report 15: Illinois State Geological Survey and Illinois State Water Survey, 114 p.
Barnhardt, M.L., B.L. Herzog, W.R. Roy, I.G. Krapac, and C.A. Smyth, 1993, Cost-effective procedures for site assessments at agrichemical facilities in Illinois, Chapter 6: in Agrichemical Facility Site Contamination Study, Illinois Department of Agriculture and Illinois State Geological Survey, 44 p.
Krapac, I.G., W.R. Roy, C.A. Smyth, and M.L. Barnhardt, 1995, Occurrence and distribution of pesticides in soil at agrichemical facilities in Illinois: Journal of Soil Contamination, v. 4, no. 3, pp. 209-226.
Barnhardt, M.L. and others. 1996-present. IGQs, STATEMAP, and Coalition project maps of aquifer sensitivity (Vincennes) and surficial geology for Smithland, Paducah East, Little Cypress, Paducah Northeast, Millstadt, Renault, Antioch, Wadsworth, and Wauconda 7.5-minute quadrangles.
Ordering information for Illinois State Geological Survey Publications.
Updated 07/02/2012 SLD